I absolutely love Hong Kong. For any girl who lives in China, especially the more remote parts…cough, cough, Hainan Island, Hong Kong is an absolute god send. It’s the perfect answer to a quick getaway from China, especially if you’re craving Western home comforts in all forms: shopping, eating, drinking and pampering. I’ve been to Hong Kong four times in the past few years, but this last trip was just the perfect amount of everything I wanted, and needed, in just a quick two night weekend trip. Since this was a girly getaway weekend, this post may not be too helpful for the guys, just scroll down to the bottom to hear about all the amazing food!
Pampering: This was a must for our girl’s weekend. If anyone reading has lived in Asia for any extended period of time, you’ll understand the frustration and confusion that comes from what we once thought was a simple hair trim or waxing. So next time you’re in Hong Kong, I definitely recommend The Firm for all of your pampering needs. Between us four girls, we received hair cuts, highlighting, arm and bikini waxing, and eyebrow tinting. This is definitely not the cheapest salon in the area, but in my opinion, the extra cost is worth the comfort of having an English speaking hairdresser and waxer, who are both comfortable and knowledgeable of how to work with western hair.
If you’re interested in booking appointments or finding out more information, visit The Firm’s facebook page here or website here. They are also very quick to respond to Facebook messages, this was the way we booked our appointments and cleared up any questions we had.
Shopping: As our girl’s weekend was the first weekend of December, we did A LOT of shopping. So here’s a list of where we went, to buy Christmas presents for our special someone’s, as well as for ourselves.
SoHo: This is where the famous escalators are located, and it’s not only a great shopping area, but a great place to eat and drink as well. You can find sporadic shops around the elevators, but the best area is at the bottom, along Queen’s Road Central.
What to find:
- Topshop/Topman: this branch is multiple stories, and always has sales on
- Lush Cosmetics: you can find these all over Hong Kong, but if you’re already in this area, it’s convenient
- Nars Cosmetics: this is Hong Kong’s biggest Nars branch
Times Square: This place is amazing, they literally have all that you could possibly need in one place, a definite must for a shopping trip. The list is too long to write in this post, so check out their directory here.
Eating and Drinking: The options are endless when it comes to food and drink in Hong Kong. You can find literally any type of food from any country, if you look hard enough. In today’s post I’m just going to cover the food and drink we had during our girl’s weekend, but stay tuned for an upcoming post of a comprehensive guide and review of more must try places in HK.
- Posto Pubblico: great Italian food, fantastic atmosphere, and bottomless prosecco at lunch, check out their amazing menu
- Maison Libanaise: best Lebanese food I’ve ever had, I highly recommend the haloumi, falafel, and cauliflower. Great wine selection as well, food and wine menus here
- Marks and Spencer’s: I know it’s a supermarket, and not the first place that would come to mind for a food and drink review, but this has the largest grocery section of any M&S in HK
- Tott’s and Roof Terrace at the Excelsior: Amazing Sunday brunch with free flow Veuve Cliquot champagne. Fabulous selection of food including king crab’s legs, oysters, foie gras, breakfast specialties, cheese selection, and Indian favorites
So all in all, Hong Kong is a great city, especially for your next girly getaway weekend!